Visit Florence : what to do and visit in Florence and what is the best time of year to enjoy a nice holiday ?
Florence, the capital of Tuscany, is home of many museums, works of art and beauties of Renaissance architecture. It offers many breathtaking places with fabulous views, many things to do and visit and for all budgets.
Among the Museums and Churches to suggest, we propose in particular :
- Duomo, the cathedral with a tiled dome designed by Brunelleschi and Giotto’s bell tower
- Accademia Gallery, where it is possible to visit the original sculpture of Michelangelo’s David
- Uffizi Gallery, where you can find, among other works known throughout the world, the Venus of Botticelli and the Annunciation by Leonardo da Vinci
- Palazzo Vecchio, which houses among other things the Municipality of Florence and hosts a copy of Michelangelo’s David
- Brancacci Chapel, in the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine
- Church of Santa Croce, which houses the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo Galilei, as well as the cenotaph of Dante, Vittorio Alfieri, Antonio Canova, Niccolò Macchiavelli, Gioacchino Rossini and Ugo Foscolo. But it also houses the chapels frescoed by Giotto and the crucifix of Cimabue
- Church of Santa Maria Novella. which houses the Giotto crucifix
- Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge), the most beautiful bridge in Florence and most photographed, known for the goldsmiths’ shops. In 1565 Giorgio Vasari (on behalf of Cosimo I de’ Medici) built the Vasari corridor to join Palazzo Vecchio with Palazzo Pitti.
- Church of San Miniato al Monte, is located in one of the highest points of the city of Florence, stands on a hill south-east of the historic center of Florence near the Piazzale Michelangelo and is one of the best examples of Florentine Romanesque
Other sightseeings to highlight are :
- Church of Santo Stefano al Ponte, near the Ponte Vecchio, the diocesan museum of sacred art that often hosts beautiful exhibitions in 3D
- Bargello Museum, less known but nice location, known for being the national museum dedicated to sculpture
TOURS AND ACTIVITIES TO SUGGEST
Florence offers many activities and excursions of one day, such as :
- Guided visits to Florentine museums
- Walking tour, discovering the historic center
- Bike tour, discovering the surroundings and the Florentine Chianti area
- Tour of Tuscany
- Daytime or nighttime Segway tour through the historic center
- Vintage tour 500 to Chianti
- Vespa tour in the Chianti area
- Chianti tour with food-wine tasting
- Cooking school, to learn the tuscan-florentine cooking specialties
WHAT TO EAT AND WHERE ENJOY THE FLORENTINE NIGHTLIFE
Florence offers many opportunities to taste typical dishes or learn about the florentine nightlife.
The most fascinating area for restaurants and pubs are the surroundings of Piazza Santa Croce, Piazza San Lorenzo and the surroundings of Ponte Vecchio or Palazzo Pitti. But also Oltrarno, Lungarno Serristori.
If you choose Florence or surroundings for your next holidays in Tuscany, you should taste the traditional florentine dishes accompanied by a good tuscan Chianti wine or white Vermentino.
Among the cooking specialties, we would like to remind :
- appetizers, “coccoli” (dollops of fried bread dough served with stracchino cheese and/or prosciutto), mixed cold cuts, croutons, panzanella (Tuscan-style tomato and bread salad)
- first courses : soup of bread, pappa al pomodoro, tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms
- second courses : tagliata (cut with rocket and parmesan), fried porcini mushrooms, Florentine steak (quite abundant, for 2 people), Florentine style Codfish, cibreo (a kind of rich and tasty omelette), peposo (peppery tuscan beef stew), lampredotto (a typical traditional florentine sandwich. It is tipically chopped, slow-cooked in a vegetable broth, seasoned with herbs and served on a bread roll. Often topped with a spicy sauce or a green sauce. A delicious traditional street food), Florentine tripe, cuttlefish in zimino
Side dishes and desserts we leave to personal taste…