Pomarance is a pretty town of about 5800 inhabitants in the province of Pisa, Tuscany. Part of the Val di Cecina, it is located on a hill 370 m.a.s.l. and dominates a wide valley. It is located in the center of the Val di Cecina, on the border between the province of Pisa and Siena.
Reachable from the road SS439 from Pontedera and Follonica or from the road SS68 coming from Cecina.
What to see in Pomarance
Among the places to visit, we suggest :
- Rocca Sillana
- Church of San Giovanni Battista, built on an Etruscan necropolis
- Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, dating back to the second half of the 20th century
- Larderel Palace
- Ricci Palace
- Bicocchi Palace
- the Theaters of Pomarance (Theatre of the Courageous and De Larderel theatre dating back to the mid-19th century, still in use)
- the Geothermic Museum in Larderello, famous for its geothermal power plant that exploits the warmth of the boracic shower heads. The museum illustrates its science.
- Theatre of Silence, Lajatico
What to see in Val di Cecina
- Volterra : the largest town in Val di Cecina, connected with Pontedera, Cecina and Colle Val d’Elsa, which is 29 km from San Gimignano, 63 km from Pisa, 70 km from Florence, 47 km from Siena and 66 km from Livorno. To visit : Cathedral, Priori Palace, Baptistery, city walls, Porta all’Arco, Medici fortress, Acropolis, Roman theatre of Vallebuona, Etruscan Museum of Guarnacci
- Montecatini Val di Cecina, Pisa : visit the Church of San Biagio, Museum of mines, Praetorian palace, Belforti tower
- Castellina : Alabaster eco-museum, the two abbeys
- Ripabella : Carlotti Palace, Church of San Giovanni Evangelista
- Montescudaio : Church of San Andrea, Oratory of the SS Annunziata
- Guardistallo : Medieval castle, Church of Saint Lorenzo and Agata
- Casale Marittimo : Clock tower, Canonica Palace, Church of Sant’Andrea, Defizio bridge, Ponte Alto
- Monteverdi Marittimo : Church of Sant’Andrea, benedictine Monastery of San Pietro in Palazzuolo, Medieval castle of Canneto, Church of San Lorenzo
Where to stay in Pomarance