Best things to do in Venice
Best things to do in Venice and surroundings – Venice is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, boasting romantic scenery, historic attractions, suggestive canals and many things to do. Venice was built on a Mediterranean lagoon and is one filled with medieval history and cafes that haven’t changed since the 18th century.
Among the many things to do in Venice during your stay, we suggest : a walking tour in the historic centre, a romantic gondola ride, visit some of the amazing museums which hosts the city, shopping at the trade center Fondaco dei Tedeschi, make lovely photo shooting… just to offer some travel tips.
Among the best things to do in Venice, check our customized list :
- Ride in a private water taxi down the Grand Canal
- Venice Biennale
- Carnival Festival
- Day trips to Burano or Murano island, spend a couple of hours, shop traditional Murano glass and taste fried fish with polenta and a glass of white wine
- Rialto food and wine tour – well known for its italian produce and homemade pasta
- Ponte di Rialto – the most famous among the 400 bridges of Venice. Built in 1588, it offers lovely views of the city
- Lido Island – accessible by most vaporetto boat lines. Lido is 11 kilometer sandbar with nice beach and heart of the city’s film history
- Bicycle ride – possible at Lido where you can find roads for both cars and bikes.
Other amazing things to suggest in Venice can be for example :
- Visit the Saint Mark’s Basilica and Doge’s Palace
- Don’t miss the Peggy Guggenheim Collection
- Gallerie dell’Accademia
- Teatro La Fenice – one of the most popular opera house
- Visit the Jewish Ghetto – considered to be the world’s first ghetto, today it is a part of the district Cannaregio sestiere and is filled with restaurants and shops, a Jewish museum and many synagogues (available for touring).
Venice can be characteristic also for traditional restaurants and cafes… following are some tips to propose :
- Caffè Florian – set in the heart of San Marco square. One of the special places attracting celebrities since 1720 from Charlie Chaplin, Andy Warhol etc
- I Tre Mercanti – its bakery offers 25 different kinds of fusion tiramisu (a delicious italian cake dessert)
- Al Bottegon – set on the San Trovaso canal, this beloved osteria is a packed, stand-up bar with no tables but with an excelletn selection fo regional wines.
- Trattoria Dalla Marisa – an old fashioned trattoria serving traditional dishes at affordable rates since its opening in 1965. For about Euro 15 per person, you can get a plate of pasta, one of the dishes of the day, vegetables, wine and coffee. At night, the specialty is seafood (rate about Euro 35)
- Osteria Alla Ciurma – set in the Rialto area, this tiny bar is well famous for its delicious fish dishes at reasonable rates (try baccalà mantecato, tuna polpette and courgette flowers stuffed with mozzarella and anchovies accompanied by a glass of white wine)
- Osteria Ai Osti – set in a quiet courtyard just off the Strada Nove (main way between the train station and Rialto bridge). Even if small, it is worth it to try it at least once for its fast dishes, pasta dishes and house specialties. If you like the fish, don’t miss the “fritto misto” (fried fish and sea food) at very reasonable prices.
If you look for a comfortable accommodation, take a look at our proposals – Holidays in VeniceTags: best things to do in Venice, Familyholidays, Holidays in Veneto, Travel to Veneto, visit Venice, what to do in Venice and nearby